In 1798, following civil unrest in Ireland, rebellion broke out. British Army units were dispatched to aid Protestant Yeomanry in the quelling of the uprising. In the ranks of the Yeomanry were many Orangemen, as they were loyal subjects to the crown. It was in these circumstances that English soldiers came into contact with Orange Lodges and soon began to join them. When the troops returned to England, the rebellion having been crushed, the troops continued to actively meet as Lodges. The 1st Regiment of Lancashire Militia met as Loyal Orange Lodge No.220 and the 2nd Battalion Manchester and Salford Volunteers met as Loyal Orange Lodge No.1128.
In Lancashire the Orange Lodges soon spread to other regiments in local towns such as Bolton, Bury, Oldham, Wigan and Rochdale. These Lodges functioned under the auspices of the Grand Orange Lodge of Ireland however following the July 12th celebrations in Manchester in 1807, there were violent exchanges with Irish Catholics and the Orangeman decided to set up a County Grand Lodge to solve the communication problems that occurred with Ireland.
In 1808 the Grand Orange Lodge of England was established. The heart of the Orange Institution in England continued to be the cotton towns of Lancashire, only shifting towards Liverpool towards the end of the 19th Century. The Orange Institution has continued to be present in Lancashire and further afield in Yorkshire, the Midlands, London and Wales.